On Saturday we collaborated with B O R N N B R E A D and Izzy Parker for an event focusing on the ‘Youth Aspirations of Peckham’
Stephanie Sesay made a short feature film asking questions about the impending development of Peckham and what the CoDesign process is. It had a great reception and was followed by a group conversation afterwards compered by Stephanie and the B O R N N B R E A D girls.
Izzy Parker, local designer and creative, had interactive displays around the CoDesign SHOP which asked the questions:
- Do you know the area outside Peckham Rye is being developed?
- Do you think keeping the hair and beauty shops, fruit and veg markets is important?
- Do you think a rent cap is important for the local businesses?
- Do you want more greenery around the station?
- Do you think the new square should be maintained by providing an apprenticeship scheme to local residents?
- Do you think the area in front of Peckham Rye Station could benefit from a community centre?
We also had a sign up sheet on the wall where people could write their own youth aspirations:
- Support hub for young entreprenuers
- Workspace that opens until late
- More young people and older people meetings i.e. outreach for young people to be involved in TRA meetings
- Programs that will allow and encourage residents to take more care and ownership of Peckham
- Cleaner floors/environment in Peckham
- More sporting activities
- More diverse workshops e.g. engineering, art, music, fashion
- Studio space for aspiring musicians
- Apprenticeship opportunities
- Social innovations competition for local 6th formers
- Design competitions!
From the evening and after talking to the Southwark YA’s who were also in attendance it seems the YOUTH aspirations aren’t too far from the general population. We were told that communication between young people and the council should be encouraged and that information shouldn’t be diluted or simplified because young people are smart, they just need to be given the time.